Monday, March 26, 2012

Rest is hard

The past week of running, my right thigh had been bugging me. It was sore at the beginning of my run, and then quite sore for the rest of the day after my run.

Then Friday morning I ran 8K and the rest of the day, I was borderline limping because it was so sore.

I was upset. I had come so far in my training, and then I get hurt and assume the worst. This means I can't run!

I got some great feedback from friends when I publically complained and asked for help. Every single person responded and told me to REST. Before I did more damage. My body needs it.

So that's what I did. Saturday and Sunday I rested (well, took the days off running, resting isn't really going to birthday parties, museums, dinner out with friends, park-playing, bike riding...) . This morning I'm bummed to say that it still hurts.

I'm wearing flats because my heels irritate it more.

At lunch I'm headed to the Running Room to see if they have any advice (someone mentioned a foam roller?) and then if it's not a clear cut "Oh it's this ...", I'm making an appointment with my sports physiotherapist.

I won't put my running career in jeopardy, so I want to know how long I should rest it.

I'm worried to even go to the gym (the lean and fit program I go to) because I don't want to further tear it (if it's torn) - or do any further damage.

So tonight? I SWIM! And tomorrow, I do YOGA.

2 people had this to say:

Teresa said...

Hope you are feeling better soon. Take care.

JavaChick said...

Hope it's nothing serious! I often find that after a break I come back to an activity better and stronger, so hang in there! Yoga & swimming sound like good ideas. :)