Tuesday, July 10, 2012

This is it

I just saw someone write on twitter "what do you want to accomplish before your next birthday?"

Of course my initial thought was "I want to be a size 8"

My second thought was GEEZUS - when am I going to stop wishing that I lost weight? When is my goal for the year going to be something then other then getting skinny? To finally figure out this whole getting healthy thing?

I have so many other things I want to concentrate and dedicate my free time to. If I took all the time/energy I spent thinking, planning, plotting, wishing.... how to lose weight, and invested it in something else?  My life would be better than it is now.  There's so much more I want to do, and yet I'm always 100% occupied with this goal.  It's starting to get in the way of me actually living the life I want to.

I'm not needing to do an"restart" because for the last 6 months I've made great strides with my healthy way of living, but I need to take it up to the next level. The eating. I've got the exercise this down pat, but as the old rule says "it's 80% what you eat, 20% exercise"


 Dedicating myself back to my fitness pal, and following Bob's Skinny Rules.

Like so many people have already mentioned, his rules aren't anything mindblowing.  They are all rules we already know, and follow most of the time.  But I think following the rules, ALL THE RULES, at the same time.... it may get me to where I want to be.


I often commit to things half-ass.  I do my training half the time, I'm consistent with doing my workouts, but not the whole kit and caboodle.  Sometimes I feel I give up on something once it gets hard, I take the easy way out, which never gets me what I really want.

Which is what I am going to do starting now.



5 people had this to say:

Courtney at RRI said...

You're right that we all know "the rules"--the issue is why don't we follow them? How do we get in bad habits and wind up at odds with what we want to do to lose weight?

It's kind of weird.

However, take a look at the video in my URL--it does a good job explaining why we get caught in bad habits and how to get back out.

Congrats on your weight loss so far and hope you make it to your goal!

philippa_moore said...

Wow, this is a really powerful realisation you've had. I often ask people "what would you be doing with yourself if your weight/health/fitness wasn't an issue? Go and do it!"

There is nothing wrong with keeping yourself accountable of course but but if it's starting to hold you back then hopefully you can sort out a way to stay accountable to what you want to achieve but not feel like your entire life revolves around calorie counting and working out. You can fill your life with heaps of other things that are good for your soul and your health :)

You've done a brilliant job so far, I know you can do anything you set your mind to! xx

PS: I've been using my fitness pal lately too, just for something different. I'd forgotten what fun it is to log everything!! :)

Teresa said...

Great post. Wishing you well!

Christy said...

Thank you for the comments ladies (Phillipa - I have your list of "What ifs" posted to the wall in my office and I refer to it daily!!!

Chantal said...

it is so hard finding a balance isn't it. You are doing an amazing job and the fact that you are writing a post like this attests to that!