Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Heroes

Ok, before anyone gets too excited, no - it's not about the TV show. I don't watch it!

Last night the girls and I went out for a coffee (I had a skim milk chai latte that was scrumptious! more to come on that later....) and a chat. Oh god how I love my Tuesday nights. We are all going through the same kind of stuff - kids, jobs, married blah blah blah so it's really great to get out and just talk about everything. I love it.

Anyways, one of my closest friends (we've been friends since we were 13 and now I'm 32, we went away to school together, lived together and now have houses about 1km away from each other) teaches at a jail for boys between 12 and 18 (she's amazing!). She brought in a movie and the topic was Heroes - she gave them each a piece of paper and asked them to explain what a hero was, and if they have any heroes in their life etc...

And she looked at me and said - Christy, I wrote about you. I used you as an example of my hero. And no, it's not about my weight loss, my exercise, my running... or any of that stuff. It's something that I did for my sister a couple of years ago (we went through IVF and I donated my eggs and now am an aunt to a gorgeus set of twins: a niece and nephew). I am NOT saying this so you all think I'm amazing and I'm not fishing for compliments, but it was something I did without even thinking twice about it. I never thought it was a big deal, my sister needed help and I did whatever I could to help her. I just never thought anyone would think of me in that way for what I did... it was the best compliment I have ever received and still makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.



3 people had this to say:

Anonymous said...

Amazing- I lurk on your blog and always find it very inspirational. You are a hero to many, in many ways!

Jen

desajair said...

Awesome! And I'm totally jealous of your support group! It sounds like you have an awesome bunch of friends. 8)

Anne said...

That's amazing. I am sure you are your sister's hero as well.