Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What to do...

Stay in a job I love, or take a job that is a classification I think I want to eventually be in, for 20K more a year? The job is not necessarily in a department I have any feelings towards, but it's a classification that I think my career will eventually lead to. It's a position which will give me really good experience, a great network of people I should get to know, and did I mention the salary? I wish this came up after my second mat leave. My plan was to stay where I am until I got pregnant again. But can I really turn something like this down? I don't even know if I will like the job....

Life's been really, really busy and unfortunately everything else comes before my blog. Eating has been the shits, I was telling Amy today I feel like a fat pig who should probably be slaughtered. Other than that, life is grand!

8 people had this to say:

Anne said...

I think you should take it, but only if it means you're coming to work at Heritage with me! haha!!!

Wish I could help you.....how long do you have to decide?

Shelby said...

Well, think about it this way: If you DON'T like it, you only have to stay until your next mat leave! :D It's a win-win situation!

Christy said...

It's kind of open-ended. I wouldn't be at Heritage, but I'd be in the same building!

desajair said...

Does the extra moula come with extra expectations? Like would you be required to be available for overtime, or are there extra perks? Look at those things maybe and then decide. Like you once told me, sometimes the money isn't worth it. (and sometimes, it is!)

Christy said...

Good point! I already know I would only take it if I could work the same hours as I do now... but like I was just saying to you over e-mail, I think I'm actually leaning towards staying here for a bit. I really, really love my job here and don't feel like I've gotten out of it what I should have. Hopefully there's a possibility of putting this job off for a couple years.

Malinda said...

if you really love the job you have right now I would say stick with it, if you're happy, TTC will be easier. and not taking the job doesn't mean the perfect oppurtunity won't be waiting for you after baby #2. trust your gut

as for the feelin' fat and eating I'm with you.. I don't know if its the time of year or what but I've lost my mojo and can't seem to find it at the moment so I'm trying to turn my attention to things I love or will get me to where I want to be. today I'm working on a new website for my photo biz. which makes me excited for the possibility of leaving my full-time gig.

Carolyn said...

Is the job in the same company or an outside company. I'd say if it's in the same, go for it. If it's somewhere you'd want to end up anyway why not get that jumpstart.

Sorry to hear about the chocolate fiasco! Hopefully they are long gone from your office by now. I also ndulged in a few chocolates over the weekend. Hubby bought me a little heart shaped box of chocolates from Laura Secord. Not to mention the chocolate cheesecake we split at dinner.

hope you are back on track and feeling much better!

PS Boo you that you don't celebrate Valentine's Day. I say any day that celebrates love and chocolate is a good day in my books. And if the day only makes you say I love you one extra time to your hubby than the whole thing is worth it! (I'm a complete sap, can you tell??)

eurydice said...

20k is a lot of extra money!