Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cross-training

Last night I went out swimming (in the insane snow storm) and I can't even tell you how much I enjoyed it. Swimming just stretches out your whole body. I did 40 lengths (one length = there and back) and each length is 25m so I swam a total of 2km. In 45 minutes. I took about a 1 minute break after each length.

I loved it. I told my husband that I would be doing it one night a week. There's lane swimming almost 4 times a week (that I could go to) so at least it doesn't have to be the same night every week. I can add it in whenever I miss a day at the gym.

I've really started thinking about how important cross-training is. Maybe it's because I used to be a runner that I have that frame of mind where I have to go faster to burn more calories. I don't really enjoy walking because I feel I should be running. I would rather be doing cardio then weights..... the bottom line for me is (was) that I wanted to burn the most calories possible. Sure I know how important weight training is and how walking burns more fat than calories but I just couldn't get out the faster you go = the more calories you burn.

But now I'm trying to incorporate different types of exercise into my routine. I'm aiming my weekly schedule to look like this:

Monday - 45 minute body bar class (weights and cardio)
Tuesday - swimming (45 minutes)
Wednesday - 60 minutes on treadmill (alternate walk/running)
Thursday - yoga (I don't do yoga, never have, but want to start)
Friday - Muscle fit class (45 minutes)

Then on the weekends I will most likely walk (but I'm old and wimpy, so only on the days where it's above like -15) or try to do anything to get moving for at least 30 minutes.

So there you have it!

1 people had this to say:

JavaChick said...

I battle the same thing - I often skip activities I enjoy (like yoga) because I feel like I should do something that burns more calories. But I really think it makes sense to vary your activities for all around fitness - not just calorie burn.