Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cross-training

Last night I went out swimming (in the insane snow storm) and I can't even tell you how much I enjoyed it. Swimming just stretches out your whole body. I did 40 lengths (one length = there and back) and each length is 25m so I swam a total of 2km. In 45 minutes. I took about a 1 minute break after each length.

I loved it. I told my husband that I would be doing it one night a week. There's lane swimming almost 4 times a week (that I could go to) so at least it doesn't have to be the same night every week. I can add it in whenever I miss a day at the gym.

I've really started thinking about how important cross-training is. Maybe it's because I used to be a runner that I have that frame of mind where I have to go faster to burn more calories. I don't really enjoy walking because I feel I should be running. I would rather be doing cardio then weights..... the bottom line for me is (was) that I wanted to burn the most calories possible. Sure I know how important weight training is and how walking burns more fat than calories but I just couldn't get out the faster you go = the more calories you burn.

But now I'm trying to incorporate different types of exercise into my routine. I'm aiming my weekly schedule to look like this:

Monday - 45 minute body bar class (weights and cardio)
Tuesday - swimming (45 minutes)
Wednesday - 60 minutes on treadmill (alternate walk/running)
Thursday - yoga (I don't do yoga, never have, but want to start)
Friday - Muscle fit class (45 minutes)

Then on the weekends I will most likely walk (but I'm old and wimpy, so only on the days where it's above like -15) or try to do anything to get moving for at least 30 minutes.

So there you have it!

2 people had this to say:

JavaChick said...

I battle the same thing - I often skip activities I enjoy (like yoga) because I feel like I should do something that burns more calories. But I really think it makes sense to vary your activities for all around fitness - not just calorie burn.

harry said...

There are various online sources to provide you informative details on FDA approved weight loss pills as well as information on pills and tablets available in the pharmaceutical market that are capable of successfully relieving you from the grip of erectile dysfunction and depression. But the online pill destination http://www.pill-care.com is somewhat unique as it makes a whole array of information available to you, including details on the highly popular pills and tablets, testimonials as well as news on the latest tidbits of the pharmaceutical market. Log in to the website and get hold of relevant pill-care details.