Thursday, May 21, 2009

Reunited with an old friend

I had forgotten about my love affair with oatmeal. I'm not sure how it happened, especially when everyone else always posts pictures of their oatmeal with wonderful different toppings and additions.

Yesterday I was reading an article in Oxygen (while at the gym) and it was talking about how you should try to incorporate all food groups in your breakfast. It went onto say the best breakfast is hot oatmeal as it releases energy slowly into your body for the morning. I've been getting hungry (or maybe just snacky) shortly after breakfast, so I thought I'd revisit my morning oatmeal.

Last night I finally cooked the wheatberries that I bought ages ago when Amy told me where they were hiding at the Bulk Barn.

This morning I made oats (thumbs down on quick oats, I only eat the old fashioned kind) and they were delicious. I felt so good after eating them and it's an hour later - when I've normoally been getting hungry and I'm not at all. I also had a yogurt-berry-banana smoothie (just 1 cup) with flax and wheat germ, so I'm a happy healthy camper this morning.

Now I'm off to read some blogs for oatmeal toppings, I used the end of my walnuts this morning and I can't remember what I need to stock up on!

4 people had this to say:

Chantal said...

I have to admit that I am not an oatmeal fan, which makes me sad, cause it is so healthy and easy. The only kind I can tolerate is the steel cut kind and only once in a while and covered in fresh maple syrup.

Sonya said...

i am so in love with oatmeal too. i've been eating SO much of it lately, because it's quick and easy. Here are my fave toppings:

- crushed walnuts
- raisins
- almond butter
- fresh berries
- fresh cinnamon
- sliced banana
- shredded coconut
- vanilla extract
- crushed cardamom (if you have time!)

I agree - old fashioned is better, but I found a really great brand of quick oats that are amazing. "Nature's Path", original oatmeal (it's unsweetened): ready and waiting to be dressed up!

xoxo

Christy said...

Mmmm thansk for the list of goodies! I never think about cinnamon or fresh berries. I wasn't sure how the cold berries on hot oatmeal would taste. Tomorrow!

And I may have to try the Nature's Path, I like their other cereals.

Emily said...

I love slow cooked oatmeal. It's great with bananas mixed in and a little vanilla soymilk! If I have time before I workout to digest-this is the ideal pre-workout meal.