Sunday, April 11, 2010

Delicious dinner!

A little bit of background: My friend Lisa and I have been on the hunt for white beans forever. She ended up in the States a few weeks ago and brought me back a can of white beans. I happened to have bought a can of navy beans over the weekend and whatdoyaknow? They are the same thing.

I had been meaning to use them and finally I did! This is what I made: Tuscan shrimp with white beans. It was absolutely delicious!

Ingredients

  • 3 cups canned Cannelloni white beans
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 16 large shrimp, peeled (tail left on) and deveined
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 small serrano chile, thinly sliced or 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (I used red pepper flakes)
  • 1 cup peeled, seeded and diced fresh or canned tomato (I used fresh and didn't peel them)
  • 1 cup whole basil leaves
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped (I had this and forgot to use it!)
  • Best-quality EVOO for drizzling (I omitted this step)

Directions

Drain the beans over a bowl and reserve the liquid. Put the white beans in a large skillet with just enough of their liquid to moisten them. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and bring the beans to a low simmer. Keep them warm while you prepare the shrimp.

Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the shrimp, season with salt and cook for about 1 minute, tossing frequently. Remove the shrimp with tongs to a bowl. Add the garlic to the pan and saute until the garlic browns. Add the serrano chile or chili flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato and basil and stir briefly, then add the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute, and then stir in the shrimp. Toss well and cook briefly to reheat the shrimp. Remove the shrimp mixture to a plate and sprinkle with parsley.

Spoon the white beans on a platter or individual plates. Drizzle them with the best olive oil you have, and then top with the shrimp. Serve warm.

Don't let the crappy picture fool you & try this recipe, it was so good! I served it with a side salad.

1 people had this to say:

Miss Gogo said...

That looks really yummy!