Monday, April 12, 2010

Butternut squash

Please tell me, what's your favourite recipe for butternut squash? We always have one on hand, mainly for:

- butternut squash fries (see recipe below)
- for the baby (super easy to steam/blend)
- add to spaghetti sauce (I steam a bunch of veggies, blend them and add to sauce

I'm thinking I need to expand my horizons when it comes to eating this beautifully tasting squash and so I want to know how YOU eat them.

My butternut squash fries:

Ingredients
Bold

  • 1 butternut squash
  • seasonings (whatever you like! I use pepper and garlic salt normally)
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
  2. Peel squash (my least favourite veggie to peel!) Cut the squash into sticks like French fries.
  3. Arrange squash pieces on a baking sheet and season.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, turning the fries over halfway through baking. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and become crispy.
Actually, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a video on Roni's website on how to peel a butternut squash. Yes, found it! Here it is They are pretty tricky and annoying to cut, by far my least favourite veggie to cut. I watched this video years ago when she first posted it and it made my life much easier (well, when it comes to peeling butternut squash at least).

3 people had this to say:

Miss Gogo said...

I'm pretty boring. I just normally roast it on its own or with some sweet potato. Little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and YUM!

M and A said...

This soup, from Gourmet mag, Feb 2003, is SO easy and delicious. My kids love it. I often skip the step with the pumpkin seeds; I'm lazy.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Butternut-Squash-and-White-Bean-Soup-107753

DaniGirl said...

Hmmm, I love your squash fries recipe -- must try!