Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Mini-adventure

My mom, sister, cousin and I are headed off this weekend for a mini-adventure, we are learning to kayak!

http://www.wildernesstours.com/adventures-at-wt/kayaking/beginner-kayak-school.htm

When my mother turned 60, she decided she wanted to kayak.  She joined a group and went on a kayaking adventure to raise money for cancer.  They kayaked for 8 days, 202km.  I think she lightly trained (ie: went kayaking on her own) for a few times a week the month leading up to the trip. 

A couple of years ago, my sister and I and some of our Toronto family went on an afternoon of white water rafting and while I had a total blast doing it, I remember looking at the kayakers going down the same rapids thinking wow - that would be awesome.

And now, 4 years later, I'm doing it!   Very excited!  The weather isn't looking too promising, lots of rain.  I don't mind raining while kayaking, but it's the sleeping in the tent in the rain that I DO mind.  We may try to upgrade to a cabin to avoid sleeping in puddles :)

3 people had this to say:

Mis(s)Mannered Mom said...

Kayaking and rapids and all that scares me-but I TOTALLY admire you for getting out there and doing something you've wanted to do! WTG!

Anonymous said...

Oh, so awesome! Please make sure you post pics. It's going to be a blast, rain or shine.

xo mv

Teresa said...

Sounds like a blast, except for the rain. I'd bet the cabin too!