Sunday, September 30, 2007

Not sure what to do!

So, after my knee causing me problems this summer, I haven't quite gotten back into running. I had started training for the half marathon this upcoming weekend and made it up to about 14K. Then my knee started hurting and I took a break. It was supposed to be brief. That was the middle of August. It's lasted until now.

I changed my registration for the half marathon to 10K, but now as the weekend approaches, I don't even know if I could do it. I have no doubt in my mind that if my knee doesn't hurt, I could easily run the 10K. I'd make it pretty close to 60 minutes too (not great, but not bad after a 2 month hiatus and hadn't been running really since I was pregnant with Carson), but I don't want to get all ready for it, start to run and for my knee to hurt. Then I'd have to stop, be embarassed that I'd stop in the middle of a race, and then feel utterly disappointed for the rest of the day. But, if my knee doesn't hurt, I know I'll run it, feel like a star and be on the "race high" for the week.

Thing is, the next day I start bootcamp. I'm REALLY excited for bootcamp. I don't want to start bootcamp with an injury.

I'm going to try running 5K tomorrow and see how my knee feels. If it's OK then I'll run 3 more times during the week and will run on Sunday. If it hurts, I'll just ignore the fact that I should be running Sunday morning and I'll be OK with it. Really, I will.

I walked 5K for Run for the Cure this morning, I saw a few moms with their little boys who were partaking in the walk and I just KNOW that will be Carson and I. I'm going to drag him to things like this starting... well, now I guess!

On a side note, I can't BELEIVE it's almost 11 weeks that I've been completely faithful with WW (except for two weeks I went over by a few points). I have slacked a bit on the exercise, but that's OK. I get in lots of walking - I guess I just feel like I'm slacking because of the amount of exercise I used to get in almost daily before I got pregnant. Things definitely change once there is a baby around!

3 people had this to say:

Kristen said...

That sounds like a good plan. If your knee does hurt, I would skip the 10k so that you can start bootcamp on a good note - it'll benefit you more in the long run than the 10k.

I'm glad your still doing good with WW, you're in "the zone" lol. You're doing awesome!!

desajair said...

In your boots, I'd skip it even if your knee doesn't hurt this week--b/c there's always a chance that the 10K will hurt it when its inevitable that you'll be pushing yourself during a race.

And then no matter what, you'll be starting off bootcamp with 100%!

Cory said...

Sounds like you have a good plan going there. You don't want to do any real damage to your knee if you can avoid it.
Good job on being faithful for 11 weeks. That is terrific! Keep up the good work!