Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Spaghetti Squash

They ARE hard to cut. I take my biggest butcher knife and just stick in the right in the middle and most times, it almost makes a crack down the middle (just where I need it). I cut the two ends off (that makes it sound easy, which it's not and I just do it one side at a time). Once it's cracked open, I scoop the seeds out with a grapefruit spoon (it's what works best for me)

I put the two sides face down in deep cookie sheet and pour water on the cookie sheet so it's about 2 cm deep. I put the oven to 375 and pop it in for about 50 minutes. When I take it out, it's super soft and easy to scrape out the "strands".

I sautee a ton of veggies and pour them over the squash and then sprinkle with parmesan cheese. I will admit it took me a while to get used to the squash taste and I never once pretended it could replace spaghetti, you have to accept that it's NOT (I'm not one of those people that will say it tastes exactl like pasta, cause it doesn't) but I really enjoy it now and there is always a spaghetti squash in my kitchen because it's a great low point meal for those days that I need it.

The scale isn't moving (WI day is Thursday) but my clothes (even the ones I bought just last week while I was in the states) are fitting looser and not a word of a lie I've gotten three really amazing compliments in the last week.

My closest friend told me that I look amazing, radiant and that motherhood really agrees with me. I think a big part of that is accepting who I am, dressing more according to my body type and just being comfortable with myself. I'm not holding off and waiting to buy clothes until I am "at goal", I'm making a concious effort of looking my best, I'm smiling all the time, I'm happy, I'm really really really content with who and what I am these days. And it's showing. Take that Mr Scale.

5 people had this to say:

In the sky, above the clouds said...

I just wanted to say you go girl! I wish I could actually forget and dress the way I love and forget about the extra pounds hanging around my tummy and thighs. You've given me something to think about and try myself. THANKS!

eurydice said...

mmm i love spaghetti squash... but yah - those who think it's a pasta replacement will be disappointed big time.

Adora said...

I've been buying and cooking spaghetti squash about once a week now that it's in season. Mostly, I just load up a cup under some chili and chow down! I've never tried the little bit of water in the pan though, what's that do?

By the way, you look great in your latest pic!

Mona said...

Thank you! xox.

Anne said...

Mmm spaghetti squash! So yummy but yeah, it's sooo hard to cut!
I agree, you look awesome!