Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Starvin' Guy Chicken Pie!

I PVR "Eat Shrink and Be Merry" on the food network and watch an episode every week before I go to bed. A couple nights ago I saw the episode for Starvin' Guy Chicken Pie and last night I tried it. It's only really within the past year (while on mat leave) that I tried expanding my culinary skills and one thing I consistently fall short on is any type of baking. So the crust of this pie was the only thing I was disappointed with. And I shouldn't even say disappointed (as I eat a piece of leftover!) but it was too thick and too doughy for me. But the sweet potato gave it a real nice sweet taste. I'd say the next day it was better - maybe I should let it sit longer after I take it out?

But it's yummy. It's one of those sticktoyourbones type of meal. Lately I've been making lots of casseroles, chilis, soups - your one bowl type meals, because a) they are great for Carson. I can put as many veggies and protein in them as I want! b) it's cold, and I love hot food on a cold day c) it's super easy to make double batches and freeze them for the nights I don't have the time or energy to cook and last but certainly not least d) I find it easy to tweak recipes like these more to my liking.

And the um scale isn't being all that nice to me. It's showing me back up at 158 although I've stayed within my points and drank all my water this week. What the heck? But ask me, am I going to let it bother me? NO! I refuse! I feel good, better then I have in a while actually, and I am choosing to concentrate on that rather then the digital devil (as lovely Marie likes to call it)

We've cooked probably 8 of the last 10 nights, so tonight I think my wonderful husband may pick up Subway for us. Carson will have leftovers from last night (he has to eat before our dinner is ready, so he always gets last night's dinner, tonight!) and then after he goes to bed I'm going to make a tomato pasta sauce.

I hope one day to be more exciting..... I bet you are hoping too :)

3 people had this to say:

Marathon Someday said...

The scale is teasing you - it will be where you want it to be, if you continue all of this wonderful work! Last week, it did the same thing. Keep it up - you're doing great!

Yummy - Subway. You know, I have this weird thing, where I can't eat Subway without something salty on the side - pretzels, chips - anything.

I'm going to need some serious planning advice from you when I head back to work next week. Gulp. I have no idea when I'm going to find the time to comb my hair, let alone make all of the amazing recipes that you cook!

Kristen said...

Sounds yummy - I love "one pot" meals too! The scale will move, probably when you least expect it -you definitely have the right mind set about :).

Carolyn said...

Freezing dinners is such a good idea and I've only recently begun to realize how great it is! I have always fallen short in the kitchen so my New Year's Resolution was to spend more time in the kitchen and experiment way more. It's been going great and I can see Scott falling in love with me all over again haha.

Thanks for the comment today, it's exactly what I needed. You are so right. Soemtimes that number is just so discouraging though but I know I FEEL great so that is the main thing. why is it so easy to get wraped up in that stupid number???? BUT Kudos to youf or not letting it get to you today! There could be a million reasons why the scale is showing that number but you have been doing so great so don't let it get you down!

The recipe looks great! Is it hard?