Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Pancake Tuesday - HELP!

What better excuse to make pancakes for dinner then because it's Pancake Tuesday! That solved my meal planning for tonight.

Here is the recipe (i've never made pancakes before, so I found this on allrecipes)

1 cup flour
1 tbsp white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 ripe bananas, mashed

How would YOU go about making this a little more points friendly? I'm NOT a baker (and this falls within the realms of baking as it involves flour). Some ideas:

2 tbsp applesauce instead of oil
1/2 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup white flour

Do you think these substitutes will screw up the recipe? I also plan on adding flax and oats (good or bad idea?) and some vanilla and cinnamon. And we have skim milk and homo milk (remember, I have a little boy!), so should I mix half and half for the 1 cup required - or should I only use skim? For all cooking I always use skim, but just wondering if it will make them too runny or something?

Anything else I should do? I'm looking at all you fabulous bakers and cookers out there! I need your help!

3 people had this to say:

JavaChick said...

I have no suggestions, as I love pancakes and I intend to just make them as usual (I use the pancake recipe from Nigella Lawson's How To Be a Domestic Goddess cookbook). My only concession to trying to make them healthier is to use that Robin Hood Nutri-Flour Blend. I like how the pancakes taste made with that flour.

I don't make pancakes very often, so I'm just going to enjoy them. The rest of my meals today will be very healthy, so I think I'll survive.

Malinda said...

I would buy pancake mix or try this site sparkpeople.com has great healthy recipes for just about everything you can think of
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipes.asp?food=pancakes&a=

Get the frypan medium to high heat and let the batter form little bubbles on top before you flip it.

If the batter turns out to runny oh well you'll have crepes instead of pancakes!
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipes.asp?food=crepes&anyall=ALL&c1=0&c2=0&c3=0&c4=0&c5=0&calories=0&prep_time=0&total_time=0&sort=number_of_ratings

or the eat clean recipe
http://www.eatcleandiet.com/Default.aspx?page=39

Kate said...

This is my specialty! ha ha

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 T sugar substitute (like splenda)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 large egg whites, beaten
1 cup milk (you could do 1/2 c milk, 1/2 cup water)
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
2 ripe bananas mashed.

Try that, it should make wonderful pancakes, and they will be very point friendly.