Monday, April 28, 2008

Yum.

It's not like it's new to me, every time I've put it to the test, the results are the same.

Better for you foods always tend to fill me up with smaller quantities rather than larger quantities of food that's not so good for you.

Jeff made whole wheat bread yesterday and it was delicious. I, knowing that I have to be careful because I LOVE fresh bread, had a small piece yesterday and it was so satisfying and filling (without all those preservatives, it was dense and I knew EXACTLY what was in it) and I didn't have the urge to go back for more. And, I've been talking about how I want to step it up a notch, introduce more foods and to be honest, I think I had been getting to repetitive in the foods I ate and it was getting boring and my body was used to the same things over and over. So last night instead of our regular salad with red peppers, red onions and goat cheese, I made a fresh avocado and tomato salad. It was quite delicious to be honest! Served with a BBQ pork chop and green beans sprinkled with scallions and sesame dressing, it was quite the dinner.

Whenever I eat truly delicious foods (cheesecake and sweets aside) I'm far more content after a smaller portion and don't feel the need to overindulge. I enjoy my food more and am much more satisfied and don't feel like I'm missing out. I always used to feel like I was missing out when I was eating healthily, because I was making boring meals, always trying to get the most quantity for the fewest number of points. Now I look at meal planning as a game, trying to see what new foods I can use, how I can make things taste better, how I can incorporate as much "goodness" as possible in a meal.

Avocado is one of those healthy foods I touched on briefly a long time ago and I'm trying to find new ways to incorporate them into our diets.

Yum... I just finished off my lunch with a fresh mango and kiwi for dessert. And honestly (I am absolutely NOT lying) it was better then if I had a chocolate chip cookie. I'm full, the fruit was fresh, sweet, and I don't feel like anything is just sitting at the bottom of my stomach.

Sunday's Eats:
B - oats, almond butter & walnuts (5)
L - chili from Tim Horton's (7)
D - pork chop (5), avacado salad (4), carrots (1)
Total: 22

2 people had this to say:

Carolyn said...

Fuirt better than cookies? You're losing it! :)

You're in on the Challenge, thanks for joining, it wouldn't be the same without you!

Unknown said...

This post was wonderful!

I, too, love how foods that are good for you are not only lower in points but they fill you up better than bad-for-you foods.

For example, I can have 1 cup of veggies with 2 tbsp hummus, an apple, and a cup of grapes for 3 points -- the same number of points in a Quaker Chewy Dipps granola bar (which are my FAVOURITE treat).

Love it! :)