Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Stepping out of my comfort zone

This weekend I'm being brave.

I'm headed to a girls cottage weekend, for one night. Thing is, I'm not particularly close to any one girl who is going to be there.

They are acquaintances, girls I have met through one of my really close friends, Lisa. She has a huge social circle and one girl in particular, who lives in my neighbourhood who knows almost everyone in the city. She's super nice (and even lent me her maternity clothes when I was pregnant with Carson, too bad she's super slim and I used them for maybe three months), friendly, we have lots of things in common, but we've never hung out without my friend Lisa. She's having this crazy girls cottage weekend.

I've gone to a few social outings with Lisa, and therefore have been out half a dozen times with the people who will be at this cottage... but Lisa isn't coming! She has to go to a bridal shower in Toronto. Once I got the evite for this weekend I was all too excited. Then I found out Lisa couldn't go. I persuaded my younger sister to come with me (I hooked her up with a job through one of these girls) and she was going to come, until yesterday when her best friend got tickets for New Kids on the Block (don't ask). Again, as soon as I heard that, I mentally cancelled the trip.

Then I thought about it. Why shouldn't I go? It's for sure going to be an awesome time (swimming, four wheeling, tubing, fires, 20 girls in the woods.... totally my kind of night), I would make a ton of new friends, and I would be tackling one of the things I'd like to change about myself. Which is to be more outgoing, to not be afraid of people and be as social as I can be. Whenever I do something that I'm afraid of, or not comfortable with, I always come out feeling stronger and more confident with myself. I'm ALWAYS happy, in the end, that I did it. I know this won't be any different.

So there you have it. I've already arranged to drive up with two other girls, we leave Friday at lunch and are coming back Saturday after lunch. Yipee!

5 people had this to say:

Anne said...

Sounds awesome! Have a great time!

Carolyn said...

Ohh have fun!! I'm so proud of you

eurydice said...

what a great idea. i'm always saying i want to make more female friends - and this is the perfect opportunity for you!

desajair said...

Wow! How cool is that! You're so lucky and FOR SURE you shouldn't even be thinking twice about going!

JavaChick said...

Good for you! I would totally wimp out not having a close friend to go with. Which is silly - why miss out on a good time? Hope you have a blast!