Saturday, September 13, 2008

Will YOU be my diet coach?

Day 6 is all about finding a diet coach. Back when I was going to WW meetings (in 2003 I lost 30 lbs in 4 months, making it down to a size 4) I can attribute a lot of my success to being held accountable to someone. Even though I didn't really know the person (I mean you start to get to know the people at your meetings, but I didn't become friends with them), just not wanting to step on the scale and be embarassed when it showed a gain was motivation enough.

Was it the right motivation? Not at all. But sometimes you have to take whatever works.

As I read the chapter today, when it explains what a diet coach is responsible for, you guys already fit the bill. Look, see for yourself:

Build your self-confidence: if you've ever looked at the comments I get from people, they are nothing but positive and make me feel really good about myself

Help you solve problems: through reading everyone's blog, I see they face the same problems as I do and I see how they overcome them, with amazing results I might add, and in turn it helps me solves my own problems

Keep you accountable: Often times I've thought, oh goodness, I can't eat that - how will I explain THAT on my blog? (doesn't always work, but I am definitely going to focus more on that now)

I could even skip the whole "How to find a diet coach" because I know where I can find one (or many). So, you don't even have to do anything, the fact that you're reading this fits the bill just fine.

Ok, so onto last night. I have my dad and Arlene staying with us right now. So last night of course we had LOTS of food. And more importantly, lots of wine. Like many of you, once I have a few glasses my judgement goes out the window. I had about 5 or 6 pieces of baguette with either pate, blue cheese or an asiago dip on them. I had some pieces of cucumber. I had a serving of St. Hubert's chicken with fries and coleslaw** I had several glasses of wine. We had a great time, stayed up too late, but really had a good time. I woke up this morning and went for a walk/run with Carson for almost 2 hours! I figured I had overeaten, but I wasn't going to let it ruin my weekend. While I was out, I gave myself a talking to. I tried to focus on what I could have done last night differently.

- taken 2 pieces of baguette with a little tsp of each "condiment" on a plate and eaten only that. I would have enjoyed it just as much. I was just picking up a piece of baguette as I walked by and didn't really focus on what I was eating.
- I should have taken half a piece of chicken and only a couple fries. The end result is the same, I would have gotten a yummy taste of everything.
-I should have limited my wine intake to two glasses.

Anyways, I'm proud of myself for not letting it set me into a spin of poor eating. I got up and knew I needed to get some exercise, so that's exactly what I did. I wasn't really hungry until about 10:30 and I had a small bowl of raisin bran. Right now I'm enjoying my back deck for maybe one of the last few weekends before it gets too cold. Arlene is with me doing the crossword and Carson's having a nap. My dad and Jeff are playing golf and I have to go make a list of things we need at the grocery store, I'm cooking dinner tonight!

1 people had this to say:

JavaChick said...

I came to the same conclusion about the diet coach - the blogosphere seems to fit the bill! It keeps you accountable and you get feedback from a variety of people, lots of different perspectives.

Sounds like Beck is working out well for you so far!