Monday, October 27, 2008

Fresh start?

Today was the first day at my new job. Typical gov't and my e-mail wasn't hooked up yet (even though I'm keeping my same address) so I met with people, talked with people, had a few impromptu meetings and am quite excited about the job. It isn't exactly what I thought it was going to be, but rather something better.

All my previous jobs have been very structured. The function of the job is laid out, and although each project is different (different scenarios, differnt issues/problems) I know what I'm supposed to do. But this one? I need to be creative. I need to create the projects, the plans, the working groups, committees etc... myself. I need to take matters into my own hand and start from scratch. The position didn't exist before and they don't really know what it is they want, and I have carte blanche to make it what it should be.

It's somewhat overwhelming, but exciting at the same time. I'm one of those people that wants to know everything at once. Right away. It looks like it's a great group of people (all young!) and my manager, from the day we initially met this summer, is fantastic. He's the manager I've needed to guide me and figure out my career path with the gov't.

For now, I'm tired. And completely on plan (this is a health/food blog isn't it? I forgot to make any mention of that) and finally found the yogurt I was looking for (Dairyland - ALIVE)

1 people had this to say:

desajair said...

Yay to great jobs! I hope it goes really well for you. 8)