Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Don't underestimate

The filling-upness of a bowl of cut up veggies to eat with your lunch.

I've been trying to pay particular attention to following Canada's Food Guide so I'm meal planning according to that. I've been somewhat lacking on the veggie department (which is totally new to me) so I've been bringing a bowl of cut up veggies (today: carrots, celery, cucumber and sugar snap peas) and now I'm easily meeting my daily recommended number of servings.

And for my afternoon snack? The same sized bowl of cut up fruit (today: grapes, strawberries, blueberries and orange). I'm actually trying to instill a family tradition of having cut up fruit every night for "dessert".

Find Canada's Food Guide here.

I find it a really good tool to keep in mind while meal planning. Tonight I'm trying the smackeroni and cheese that Amy raved about. Can't wait!

1 people had this to say:

JavaChick said...

I like to do raw veggies before dinner most evenings. I prefer most veggies raw anyway and it's an easy way to sneak more veggie servings in. Plus, munching on them while waiting for dinner to be ready keeps us from munching on other things!

During the summer I was bringing raw veggies to work, but now it's so cold in the office I really don't want to eat cold food.