Friday, October 16, 2009

Going green

Now that I have a new blender (my last one died of old age), I can reinstate green smoothie breakfasts! Um, although this was for my lunch. After I ate it, I went out grocery shopping and my stomach was growling when I got home so I had the last couple bites of Carson's lunch which seemed to do the trick.

Carson liked it from afar but didn't want to even try a sip of it!! Even though this picture makes it look like he's into it.

Thanks to Chantal's brilliant suggestion, I bought a huge bag of frozen mango from Costco. They definitely add that extra je ne sais quoi to your smoothie. Mine had:

1/2 c vanilla yogurt
1/2 c frozen blueberries
2 handfuls spinach
1 c frozen mango
1/2 banana

What do you add that's special to your smoothie? I'm thinking flax seed (or oil) and all that good stuff. I need to stock up and make sure my green monster is living up to it's name. Can you help me out?

2 people had this to say:

Chantal said...

I should add flax seed oil to mine. that would be good for me and baby (although I take a omega supplement anyhow). I like the mixed berries they have at Costco. Raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. They smell so good and add so much fiber and the antioxidant things. Although they are seedy and kids probably wouldn't like that part.

Julie said...

that sounds like a yummy shake but you may wind up hungry soon after and also crash from the sugar rush. Please dont take this the wrong way, its totally informational and keep doing whatever you want, just giving some tips free to take or leave of course ( im on a transform program at my gym with people very educated on nutrition and fitness...)

shake if used as meal should contain;

low-glycemic fruit ( mangos are very high glycemic, very high sugar)
protein
EFA ( essential fatty acids)

this is mine if you want to try it;
3/4 cup of frozen berries ( mixed bag at costco)
1/4 cup of frozen banana ( bit just to make it less watery)
2 tsp of organic flaxseed oil
1 scoop of vanilla whey isolate protein powder

its super yummy! i have it after my morning strenght sessions :-)

p.s. i've been a lurker on your blogs for a super long time before you were pregnant with carson, found the link on WW online boards a long time ago. I dont post comments often because i dont have time but i wanted to tell you ive seen you do the weight loss thing and i know you can do it. i read only 7 blogs, 2 are yours and i find you to be very inspirational to me. So keep it up! You are an amazing woman! ( maybe you remember me from when i used to post more often, i dunno ??, you have me on facebook too..lol)