Friday, February 26, 2010

I MUST tell you

all about my dinner.

My best friend asked me to go to the Keg for dinner, I seriously considered it but then I knew I wouldn't be able to stay focussed when sitting at the Keg. There would be food, drinks and dessert and I know I would regret my dinner choices. Our husbands are going ice-fishing tomorrow (overnight gig) and the idea of having a night out before i'm single-parenting it sounded pretty darn good.

So I decided to make sure I didn't regret my decision. I had some Atlantic salmon fillets in the fridge that I picked up on Wednesday. I had a bunch of kale (*see below) as well as some green leaf lettuce.

I made Maple Salmon and I give it an A+. I'm relatively new at cooking fish (Jeff normally cooks our fish) so I'm still not totally confident about when it's done. The marinade was SO easy! It was:

  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt (didn't have any garlic salt, I had to use garlic powder + salt)
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 pound salmon (I used the two fillets I had bought)
Cook for 20 minutes at 400, uncovered.

Super easy and super delicious!

And we made Double Garlic Kale (from Mark Bittman's How to Make Everything**) which was to die for. I tried his suggestion of using ginger instead of the second dose of garlic and it's now probably my favourite veggie recipe I've tried in the past year or two. Holy flavour Batman! You MUST try this.

Then I made a garden salad with
green leaf lettuce
avocado
red pepper
red onion
cucumber
goat cheese
fresh croutons

With Kraft Extra Virgin Olive Oil dressing - Pesto Parmesan (which for some reason is NOT listed on the kraft website?)

My only regret is the batteries on my camera were dead. It was one of the best meals I've had in a long time, so full of deliciousness and flavour and just ... YUMMY.

There, I feel way better. Jeff leaving's early in the am, so I'm going to get to bed shortly. But I need to leave you with two questions:

Question #1: Are you allowed to post recipes from cookbooks that you own (if the cookbook is not online)? Or is that a copyright issue?

Question #2: The Double Garlic Kale recipe calls for 1/4c olive oil, can I just reduce that amount or is there something I can substitute part of it with? It's alot of oil for a side dish...


* I'm trying to incorporate more veggies into our meals.
**Mark Bittman's How to Make Everything is probaby my mostly used cookbook that I own


5 people had this to say:

desajair said...

You can post it if you credit the authour. I mean, we can quote anything from books as long as the authour is given proper due.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you can post, as long as you give full credit. Or if you make a slight change (like the olive oil), you'd write, "adapted from".

Great work on the dinner!

Miss Gogo said...

I am definitely going to try that salmon recipe. We eat salmon at least once a week so i'm always looking for variations!

Lynn said...

I'm not so sure about the recipes. I stopped doing it with my pie-making series because I felt weird. It felt different than quoting from a book -- closer to putting the entirety of a book online, or scanning in and posting a work of art (definitely against the law, even with credit given).

I hope someone with some law knowledge weighs in on this topic.

Otherwise, congrats on a great dinner!

Christy said...

Thanks for your thoughts on posting from a cookbook. I'm thinking along the same lines as Lynn that it's not just an excerpt from a book, it's the whole book (but not a book, it's the whole recipe!) and if people found all their recipes online then there's no reason to buy it.

Anyways, if anyone wants the recipe just ask and I will give it to you.

MissGogo: yes, you MUST try it, we normally just BBQ salmon but this was easy, delicious and fast! The marinade took like 5 minutes to get ready, I let the salmon marinade for a few hours and 20 mins in the oven (great recipe for when we go back to work!)