Friday, April 30, 2010

Fibre-licious day!

Warning: Another post resulting from my love of sparkpeople and no I am not getting paid to talk about them.

I'm sure other calorie counting sites are just as good, I'm just too lazy to try more than one out and sparkpeople so far as done what I need (and more!) so I'm sticking to it.

Your daily intake versus recommended amounts of calories, carbs, fat and protein are automatically tracked.. PLUS you can edit your nutrition goals and add almost anything you want tracked.
Having originally lost weight following Weight Watchers, I opted to add track dietary fiber.

We all know why fibre is good for us, right?

Looking at the past week, I had seen that I hadn't always reached my recommended daily fibre intake, so I am making an effort to add more fibre.

Check out my weekly progress:

Side note: See the day I weighed myself? The day that I wasn't happy with the results? The only day this week I didnt track my calories. The scale is my own worst enemy!

Other than that though, I'm rather happy with the way I've been falling within the daily range (most of the time) for each of these categories.

The good news is, it's easy to incorporate more fibre into your diet! It's found mainly in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Enough of that, and onto last night's dinner. I used to eat stir-frys all the time. Lately I haven't been as much because Carson won't touch it with a ten foot pole. And I'm not into making two meals (right now that would be 3 because of making the baby's meal too), but if I don't start now he will never eat it, right?

Chicken stir-fry with spinach:

1 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp chopped ginger
2 small chicken breasts or 1 large one (already cooked)
1/4 cup water
1 small onion
1/2 red pepper
2 cups broccoli
2 cups spinach
1/2 cup chopped basil

How I did it:

  • Chop red pepper into slices and broccoli into their florets
  • Boil pot of water, add broccoli and red peppers for 2 minutes (this takes the real hardness away), take off heat and strain
  • Using a wok, heat the oil (remember: woks heat up really quickly!)
  • Add garlic and ginger for a few seconds
  • Add onion for a minute or two, until it softens
  • Add broccoli and red pepper
  • Stir-fry for 5 minutes
  • Add chicken (I used marinated-then-BBQd chicken we had leftover)
  • Add spinach
  • Add the 1/4 cup water and 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • Cook until spinach is wilted (is that the proper word?)
  • Add basil (I grabbed a bunch of leaves and then cut with scissors)
I served it over a bed of quinoa and it was DELICIOUS! Of course, I couldn't eat it right away because I had to make it to my lean and fit class, but I enjoyed every last bite afterwards.



2 people had this to say:

Miss Gogo said...

Can you come cook for me? Everything you make always looks so yummy!

Teresa said...

Sounds yummy! I'm a fibre junky. Hope Carson gets tempted by it eventually.