Thursday, April 22, 2010

A little bit of this and a little bit of that...

Makes for a delicious new dinner!

I have to say that I do have a few healthy habits that come quite naturally (looking at my weight you can easily say it's not like they outweigh the bad ones yet) one being that I love vegetables, and for this post specifically I LOVE salads. I dream of delicious salad bars.

Today is the last day (well, until Saturday) that I'm single-parenting it, so as I was making dinner for the boys, I looked around the kitchen to see what I could make myself.

First I spotted some avocadoes (have I told you how much I love them?). I had bought 2 bags of 5 for $5. I bought them the day we found out Jeff was leaving, so I bought them assuming we would be eating them together. Needless to say I have 9 left. And they are all ripe. Good thing Lisa is stopping by tonight, she's leaving with an avocado lootbag!

I had chicken for lunch, so I was thinking of protein alternatives. I recently tried white beans (navy beans) and really enjoyed them, so I opened another can.

Another surprising good source of protein. Greek yogurt! (20g protein per 175ml serving)

I have to add, greek yogurt is quite hard to find in Ottawa. I found it at two different FarmBoys (but only one time at each!) and then I found it at two different Metros now, let's hope it's going to be a more regular thing.


I needed crunch. This was the best I could come up with. DH bought these on sale at Costco, he loves croutons on his salad. I put 6 croutons on (they are huge, so I actually break each one in two or three pieces)

All together now....

White Bean and Avocado salad:
In one bowl, place in whatever way you fancy....

  • 2 cups of mixed greens
  • chopped up red peppers, cucumbers, onions
  • 6 dopples of greek yogurt scattered over lettuce
  • 1/4 cup of navy beans sprinkled on top
  • 1/2 of avocado sliced into bite sized pieces
  • 6 foccacia croutons (broken up into smaller pieces)
  • 1 tbsp of dressing (I used Renee's Pear and Blue Cheese)
In one word? DELICIOUS! Runner-ups?: Scrumptious, satisfying, tasty, yumm-o!

The best part? My dinner companions.



Update: I'm still trying to stick to roughly 1300 calories on the days I don't get to my lean and fit class, and 1800 on the days that I do. And I'm actually doing it. Without too much trouble. I haven't weighed in for a few weeks, and I know I probably went up a bit while I had my inlaws with me, Easter, baptism etc... so I'm waiting until next week to see what the scale says.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I LOVE spark people. It has over 10,000 foods listed (especially if you select the option to import foods from other members). Almost any brand name of anything that I use and look for, it's there!

Also, I've taken this out of storage. It's so easy to think you know how much is a serving size, but I think, for a little while at least, I need a little help getting portion sizes of different things that I eat. Some I'm surprised in a good way (like I thought I was always using more feta cheese then I actually do!) and others in a bad way (um can we say portions of meat? )
Italic

1 people had this to say:

Teresa said...

Yum for salads! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Keep up the good work.