Sunday, February 12, 2012

Bokity Choy Choy

I wish I wasn't so hungry so I could have taken pictures.

My typical go-to meal consists of:

  • quinoa
  • chicken
  • veggies (cucumber, red pepper, onion, tomato....)
  • fresh parsley
  • EVOO & red wine vinegar
  • Topped (if I feel like it) with a sprinkle of goats cheese
I toss it all together into a "salad".

This past week I've been reading about the importance of switching up your greens while drinking green smoothies. Most often I use spinach, so when I saw a big lettuce box full of bok choy at Costco I picked it up, to add to my rotation.


I saw it staring at me in the fridge while I was making our lunches, I decided to add it to my go to meal. I quickly searched for a recipe, coming up with this:

Ingredients

  • 4 baby bok choy
  • 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced

Preparation

Trim base of each bok choy; cut in half lengthwise.

In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add bok choy and 3 tbsp (50 mL) water; cover and steam until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.

It was quick, easy and turned out delicious. I put my quinoa-chicken-veggie salad on top and it was as they say.... magnifique.

And what benefits did the bok choy add to my meal?

It's high in vitamin-A, vitamin-C, beta-carotene, calcium and dietary fiber.

This leafy vegetable is low fat, low calorie, and low carb and also contains potassium and vitamin-B6.

Some of the vitamins found in this super vegetable are also powerful antioxidants, making this tasty cabbage an extremely healthy treat.

The rich amount of beta-carotene inherent in this super vegetable can help to reduce the risk of certain cancers.

Beta-carotene has also been known to reduce the risk of cataracts.

It's also an excellent source of folic acid and can also contain other healthful nutrients like iron, depending on the soil where it was grown.

So really - it was one of those win win situations :)

3 people had this to say:

JavaChick said...

My favorite thing at the Chinese restaurant we go to is Garlic Bok Choy - it's a very simple dish, but so tasty! And those tubs of bok choy at Costco are awesome!

Amy said...

Andrew hates bok choy... so on Tuesday nights when he plays basketball I make this:

stir fry a chicken breast with onion and mushrooms, add bok choy until its wilted, add a little sesame oil and sesame seeds and BAM. Dinner. Healthy and delicious!

Christy said...

Thank you ladies for more ideas for my bok choy! I love adding a new staple to my grocery list!