Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Something new

I started running in January 2003.  I had a goal in mind, a half marathon, which I ran that year in May.  I've run a few 10K's, but I ran those either in preparation for a half marathon, or because I couldn't run the half so I "settled" for a 10.



If I think about it, I probably apply that same mentality to too many things in my life.  If I can't do it 100%, then why bother with it all? 

- I've already blown my day by eating chocolate, why not eat chips - and bread with butter - and everything else I feel like?
- I don't have an hour to go to the gym, going for 45 minute isn't worth it.
- I don't have the time for a weekly Sunday run to train for a half marathon, so I just won't run at all.
- etc...

I always thought that anything less than the big goal made me a bit of a failure.  But really, they were just excuses to justify my not doing it.

And just as bad, when I do have a specific BIG goal, then as soon as I reach it, my dedication/obsession runs out.  Take for example, each and every time I ran a half marathon (three times)... immediately afterwards, I stop running. And look for a new hobby, a new obsession, the latest fad diet etc...

Now as I think about it, it's all the in between that really counts.  100% dedication isn't sustainable.  Not for me at least.  I am trying to teach myself each and every day that it's the things I do 80% of the time, 70% of the time, 60% of the time - those are the things that matter.  They are sustainable.  I will continue to do them, because there's no "end".  Well, wait a minute, I suppose there is an "end" and the end is a healthy, happy lifestyle, being kind to myself and my body.  But I think that's something that most people continue to work on every day, it's not always easy, but it will never be as hard as it was yesterday - I just need to keep moving forward.

HA!  You don't even know how far of a tangent I went on there.  I started off with the topic "Something new" and talking about running because I am going to try something new.  I am going to work on my speed.  My speed for short distances, not long ones. 

Yesterday during crossfit, we were partnered up (guess who I was with?) and while one was doing rounds of thrust (or are they called thrusters?), KB swings and sit-ups, the other was outside running 400m.  Which isn't a long distance, but wow.  I got winded, FAST.  After my 3rd run I had to stop and catch my breath for a good minute and a half before I started into the thrusters.  Granted, it's a different type of running because you are doing weights in between, but it's something that I want to work on.

#1 reason is I'm doing the Spartan Race in June and I need to get in better shape for that.  There was a lot of running last year, and it was right after I did my half marathon, so my running was much better.

I'm currently googling 5k race plans to increase my speed and the idea of getting out for a run without any crazy long distances? Kinds of excites me.  I've never worried too much about speed, only distance.  But now it's time to concentrate on doing it faster, and not longer.   If anyone has any good plans, ideas or tips about increasing my speed I am all ears and ready to listen!

5 people had this to say:

Chantal said...

I don't have any ideas about speed, but I know i had bookmarked the Tartan run in Perth as a possible race for me. It is an 8K. Although I have yet to start training.

Kataroo said...

I Love this, I'm working on speed too right now. I'm a distance runner...I think its easier to run REALLY STINKING FAR at a nice pace then fast for a short distance. LOL. But now I am loving the feeling of the short and fast. I'm sending you a message on FB I have some charts you could use for speed work if you like :)

Mis(s)Mannered Mom said...

I was just going to suggest asking Miss Katie-Queen of Speed.:)

I'm like that as well-get a new hobby or interest-have it for awhile, meet some goals and then...What's next? I'm a little nervous that after I do a half....I'll flounder a bit, wondering what to do. (I have no intention of even contemplating a full)

I totally get ya, sista!

Christy said...

Chantal - when is that race? SOunds like it may be something I'd be interested in.

Katie - thank you, thank you, thank you.

Tracey - glad to know I'm not alone :)

Chantal said...

Tartan is in June. 3rd weekend I think.