Monday, November 4, 2013

I can SEE it

A little bit at least.  That's right - progress.  Nothing major, nothing drastic, nothing huge, but it's there. 

Don't' mind the stupid face in the second picture, no idea how to take a body selfie without looking like a total tool.

On my last post I talked about crossfit and how I really feel like I've found my "thing".  I finally feel like I've found what I was meant to do.  I was meant to lift heavy.  My last two PR's show that.   The love/hate relationship that I have with my legs are teetering more and more towards "love" every day.  Every day I push myself harder by speaking with kind - loving words, not hateful words.

Friday morning, our trainer mentioned a crossfit competition.  Huh?  I've heard of these, not for the elite but more geared towards recreational/for fun competitions.  One thing (and dare I say, the ONLY thing) I miss about running these days is the races.  I miss being able to train for and towards a specific event.  The excitement, the nerves, the schedule, the day of, the feeling of accomplishment... I found that's missing in my life.  So when my trainer suggested that *I* sign-up, I was dumbfounded.  Of course - compliments must be pushed away with a self-inflicted insult - "I couldn't possibly" "I'm no good" were my immediate thoughts.  Then he said that he's been to these competitions, that I was easily just as good as they are.

So we looked up the competition (it was selling out quickly!) and the scaled version (which I would compete in) had the following requirements:

 First four - check.
Box jumps? Nope.  
Pull-ups with green band - Nope 
Ring dips with band - no idea.

So I had some work to do.  Headed to the gym on Saturday morning to see if we could do the requirements.  Like I said, first four? No problem.

Box jump.  My nemesis.  I have been using the tire for months.  The tire is THE SAME HEIGHT as the box.  But for some reason - I could jump on rubber.  Rubber is soft, if I fall on rubber I wouldn't kill myself or break my teeth (people pointed out I most definitely could, but I chose to ignore them).  I just said to myself - if you want to do this, you have to jump.

And I did it. I jumped.

Then I jumped, jumped, jumped, jumped - for a total of 80 times during the workout. 

Box jumps - done :)

Pull-ups with green band?  I can do three in a row before I break.  And you know what? That's ok, I just take a break - and even if I continue to do one at a time... I'm STILL DOING IT.

Ring dips with band?  It took us a while to figure out how to get the frigging band on the rings and keep it there while dipping, but one of the other members came over to show us.  As soon as he put the band on (Green band) - it was easy as pie, dip with a band? Done.

Ok - are we going to do this?  With another - GO DO IT NOW from our trainer, we raced home, into the house and pulled it up on the computer.  Then? Boom.  SOLD OUT.

So sad.  And relieved.  Timing was bad for me - it was my son's birthday (but we are having his party the day before so I thought I could get away with it, had huge mommy guilt though) so in the end it worked out in more ways than one.

a) I wasn't missing my son's birthday
b) If it wasn't for this, I'd probably still not be doing box jumps
c) Now I have something to work towards, with more time than ONE MONTH to prepare

This is what I'm going to do - the next competition that comes up, I'm signing up.  The idea makes me want to puke and gives me the sweats (because, I'm being JUDGED, as in someone standing RIGHT BESIDE ME watching and scoring my every move!) and I'm DOING IT IN FRONT OF PEOPLE.

But - I will do it.  Mark my words.
 

5 people had this to say:

Kataroo said...

OMG!!! this post had me doing the eeeeeeee for so many reasons. First off you look incredible! Your legs are so insane, I want them! Your back, is HOT. You look awesome Christy.

BUT MOST OF ALL...I love the competition, that you got the first 4, that you got over the mental block and JUMPED and JUMPED...the pull ups...you'll nail those. I love this goal, I can't wait to hear your journey as you train :)

Kataroo said...

and you will compete I KNOW IT :)

Christy said...

Thank you Katie!! I'm in a very happy head space right now :)

Chantal said...

that is awesome, I can't wait to hear all about it!

JavaChick said...

Good for you!