Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mares eat oats and does eat oats..

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?



That always makes me laugh. Anyways. Oats. Last fall/winter/spring I LIVED on oats. At that point I was quite unimaginative and only ate these Now that the cool weather is back, I am reprising my favourite warm breakfast. But, I want ideas. I read lots of blogs where people eat oatmeal every day. They put soy milk, hemp milk, bananas, almond butter, granola... all the things I love, in one bowl. And it looks good.


If you could all let me know what kind of oatmeal you buy and a quick how-to if you have special ways of preparing it, that would be great. I'm sure I could go into the archives where people explained how they do it but I'll try the lazy way first (asking) then if that doesn't pan out, I'll look into it more.


And not to sound unwelcoming to any passer-byers from the States, but some of the products you buy, I can't get here. And when it sounds super good, I just get jealous and frusterated that we can't get it here. So I'm looking at my Canadian friends for this one.

7 people had this to say:

Marathon Someday said...

Hi cookie,

It's been awhile since I've commented!

I love me oats too.

I buy Nature's Path organic oatmeal - it's the instant kind. I love steel-cut oats too, but with a toddler around it's not always convenient to prepare (as you well know!).

I buy the plain kind so that I can dress it up, but it comes in lots of yummy flavours (with flax, apple cinnamon, etc.).

I usually add fresh berries, a dash of cinnamon, and a drizzle of maple syrup. I chop up banana if I'm in a "sweet" mood.

Takes five minutes - tops! And very yummy in my tummy.

Amy said...

I'm an oatmeal fanatic myself.

I just buy the regular quaker oats... not the instant ones though.

My favorite combo: Apple oats. Chop up an apple and throw it into the pot with water, milk (lately I've been using almond breeze) some flax meal and a couple of raisins. Top with some brown sugar twin and sliced almonds (or a couple teaspoons of granola for crunch. Soo good.

Carolyn said...

Mmm I'm trying the top 2 recipes. I've only made oatmeal once and it exploded in my microwave so I got nothing for ya darlin! :)

desajair said...

Ya, I buy the regular quaker oats too. 8) I LOVE it plain, but sometimes put raisins in it... almonds too... apples, yep, they're good too. Sometimes I buy the old fashioned quaker oats and slow-cooker them with some molasses and raisins and nuts and whatever dried fruit I have on hand

eurydice said...

i put everything in oats. pumpkin, allspice, banana, strawberries, wheatberries, cottage cheese, apples, carrots, cinnamon, splenda, all bran.... the list goes on!

Chantal said...

Howdy, first time commenting on your site. Visit once in a while. Last winter I lived on the PC Blue Menu Steel Cut Oats. I do them in the microwave while I get ready in the morning. I am a plane jane girl and like them with a drizzling of maple syrup. Occasionally with blueberries or strawberries. I need to try banana.

Mon said...

first time commenter, long time reader (hehe, that sounds funny).

anyways, my favorite morning oatmeal is this.

We buy Our Compliment Quick Oats
I mix them with cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg (sometimes a drizzle of maple syrup), 1/4 cup of unsweetened apple sauce, some brown sugar splenda, and occasionally some raisins.

I love it, eat it almost every morning