Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Jump up jump down jump up jump down

I started Lean and Fit about 4 months post-baby. I remember when I started, there were alot of things my body just wouldn't do. Whether it was because I had a c-section 4 months earlier, because I was about 70 lbs overweight, or because I was just plain lazy, I don't know.

One of the exercises that I couldn't do was jumping on and off the step. Said step has 4 risers. The goal of station is to jump on and jump off (two footed jumps) without stopping in between, as soon as your feet hit the ground (or the step) jump.

They always give options for each exercise if you want to minimize impact, have a sore back, sore knees etc...so the option I always went with was running on and off the step and I was even slow at that!!

They have this exercise, or a derivation thereof, every two or three weeks I'd say. As I've mentioned before, my goal for each class is to do better than the class before. So each time I met the step, I'd try to do a two-footed jump on it. But it was like I just couldn't lift my body. Thinking about it now maybe I just didn't know what muscles to use. Or maybe it was the lack of faith in my body. Or maybe I was simply scared.

Last month I finally was able to jump up and down. But it took a lot. I would pause up to 3-4 seconds after each jump (a jump is defined in my mind either up OR down, not up AND down) and when the station only lasts 45 seconds, you can see how few I did each time.

But today. Oh today, you would be so PROUD! I DID IT. Up, down, up, down. Landing only for as long as it took to leave the ground again. I was actually tearing up. Ok, so maybe it was just my eyes sweating, but I was beaming. I did it. I couldn't do it a few months ago, and now I can. It's times like this I love my body, I love what it can do.

I probably tell my husband once a week how happy I am that I've gone back to this gym. It's my crack. I'm addicted. I love it. If Jeff were to say to me - I'll take care of the boys for the afternoon, spend it as you wish, I would go to the gym. Is that sick or what?

4 people had this to say:

Miss Gogo said...

YAYYYYYYYYY! What an accomplishment!

desajair said...

Holy Crap I'm proud of you! That is smokin' awesome!!!! Go Christy Go Christy!!

Teresa said...

Woohoo doing GREAT! Keep it up.

Chantal said...

Thats awesome!!! I am so happy for you. I can't wait to start exercising again. I am thinking next week. Hopefully D2 will cooperate!